Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My first posting!

Hello! Based on the encouragement of others, I have decided to start a blog to keep everyone updated on what is going on in my little world.

I'm sure that most of you know the basics of what has been going on in my life. In the summer of 2005, my world changed dramatically. I developed necrotizing pancreatitis and my pancreas ate 4 holes in my intestine. As a result, I was in the hospital for approximately 12 months before the holes spontaneously healed and I was able to be discharged. Because I was in the hospital for so long, I had nothing when I got out - no car, no house, no cat, no job... So, now I live with my mom in her finished lower level. She has been so wonderful about not only letting me live here, but also with putting up with my moods and unreliable health situation. For the first few months at home, things went well and I was able to get a new job, went back to school and was enjoying the freedom of being "on the outside" again. Unfortunately, in November, everything seemed to have gone downhill again. I have developed chronic pancreatitis, which is very painful and is limiting what I can do and what I can eat. I have also developed an immune disorder that has allowed me to get multiple infections which have required 7 hospitalizations since Thanksgiving. It seems like I can only be home for a few weeks at a time before another infection strikes. I am now receiving monthly infusions of IgG in order to try to boost my immune system. All this in addition to my asthma has left me pretty worn out and tired.

As you can imagine, all this has changed my life dramatically. Last month, the doctors finally convinced me that it was time to stop working and apply for disability and medicaid. So, I am in the process of trying to be determined disabled by both the state and social security. I should hear something from the state in the next week or so, but social security takes 6 months or so before they make a determination. I am hopeful that medicaid will be approved soon because I would like to be able to let my doctors bill someone and also get some prescriptions! Once the state disability is approved, I should be getting some sort of $$$ as well, which I definitely need. I am not accustomed to no paycheck.

On the positive side, I am getting to spend lots of time with Andrew. He is such a joy! He just turned 3 in February and is all 3-year-old boy! We love to play with his tractors and scooper-trucks. Mom and I watch him several Saturdays a month. He and I watch cartoons in the morning...can't go without watching Handy Manny together! We are planning to do some fun things this spring/summer with him. This Saturday, he and I are going to make cookies. He loves to do things with Aunt Sally and is generally happy just to spend time together coloring and playing.

So, that's my world in a nutshell. I am hoping to keep the blog current, so feel free to check back often and leave me comments.

Have a great day!

Sally

2 comments:

heather said...

love the blog....of course, drew is the star!! love that kid!! and the pic of you and him -- so awesome - you can see the bond you two share!!

Caremme said...

Love the blog. I feel like I have a connection with you again. I miss the late night chats of long ago. So much has changed though.