Wednesday, June 13, 2007

A tale of 2 doctors...

Okay, so it was really one doctor and one nurse practitioner, but that didn't have quite the flash that the title did.

I was at the wound clinic this morning where we found new wounds and old wounds. The old wounds look good...the new wound looks like it could cause trouble. Add to that, I was running a bit of a temp while I was there and the nurse practitioner was less than satisfied with my progress for the day.

Then, I took myself to lunch and then came back to see Dr. Valitutto. We got a bit of a chuckle over the hospitalist that called him frantically while I was in the hospital declaring that I was on waaaay too much insulin. Dr. V's comment was, well, how is her sugar??? High, duh. So, he apparently told the hospitalist to put me on an insulin drip, but he didn't do that. I told Dr. V that I never even heard about the possibility of a drip, but he did at least increase my insulin a bit that day and then the resident bumped it back to normal the next day. You know, it seems that the hospitalists could get it through their heads that not all patients are the same. I don't have a functioning pancreas and then when you add infection, my sugars get crazy and hard to control! Why they won't listen, I just don't understand.

Anyway, because my sugars are still way off, we are increasing my insulin even more. We are going back to daily emails so he can see my numbers and then I see him again in 3 months or sooner if a problem arises. Of course, I can again demand that the hospitalists call him if I am inpatient in the mean time!

Last night, we went to meet Becky, Matt and Andrew at Culver's for a snack around 8ish. Around 9:30, I got the most intense abdominal pain I have had in quite some time and it really hasn't gone away. I feel like someone has a knife in my front left side and central abdomen. I'm having to take more Dilaudid and am still not comfortable. I don't know what the deal is.

Tomorrow, I am going to South Haven with Becky and Andrew to meet up with Sue and Jim at their trailer. It sounds like I am going to spend some quality time alone at the trailer because apparently the beach is down about 50-60 steps (actual stairs) and there is just no way that I could get up that many steps. So, I will have to stay at the trailer while they all go play at the beach. I am bummed because I would like to play in the sand with Andrew, but it is probably just as well because the last thing I need is sand in these wounds. Becky and Sue were worried that I would be bored, but like I said, it's no different than sitting alone at home! At least this way I will be able to socialize and have fun when the are back at the lot and we are fixing dinner and stuff. It sounds like Matt is going to join us after he gets out of work in the evening for dinner.

Oh, the other big news for tomorrow is that it looks like I am actually going to get my bike back after all this time. I emailed Lindsay last night and asked her if we could come get it tomorrow morning and she said yes. So, after giving up on the idea of ever seeing it again, looks like it will be mine after all!

Anyway, I am falling alseep here. I did not sleep well last night due to pain and so I think I will take some more meds and take a little nap...

Sally

No comments: