Friday, May 25, 2007

Made it through the first heat wave...

Man, did it get hot here this week. Okay, so I suppose it wasn't all that bad, but for May, it was pretty darned hot. It got up to the high 80s - low 90s for 3 days. Fortunately, I turned the AC on Tuesday when the house got up to about 76 and I said - okay, that's it! I just don't seem to tolerate the heat very well anymore. I am told that this is yet another glorious effect of my malfunctioning pancreas and that I am going to find more and more that I don't tolerate extremes in temperature in either direction. I definitely noticed it with the heat. I mean, I sweat a lot even on a good day...let's not discuss how sweaty I was in the heat!

Tomorrow, I have to get up and be at the hospital around 8:30am for my next IVIG infusion. I am less than thrilled to be up so early for the infusion being that I would rather be here playing with Andrew, but what choice do I have? I could have rescheduled it, but I hate to be a pest to the infectious disease office. So, my cross-stitch and I will be off and headed to the hospital nice and early. I have tried reading there, but it never works...they have TVs in the room and it is just easier to watch TV and cross-stitch.

On the cross-stitch front, I had lunch with my aunt Sue this week and she was telling me about an opportunity with a craft company, Dimensions. She met a woman who does consumer testing for them. So, I emailed them and they responded back that they don't have openings in counted cross-stitch, but they do in stamped cross-stitch. So, I replied back that I would be willing to do stamped cross-stitch. What happens is this - they send you a kit (either one that has not gone into production or one that just needs to be reviewed) and you do it and send it back to them. They then examine it to determine if the pattern is the way they want it and if there is enough floss (thread) for the project. Then, they send it back to you to keep! So, it's a great opportunity for me to do some cross-stitch with a purpose! I mean, I am sitting here doing it anyway, I might as well have a purpose! I'm going to check with a couple other companies that I order products from and see if they do it as well. It's a good thing for me to have something to do. The project I am taking for tomorrow is actually a sippy cup for a friend who just had a baby...

In terms of my health, I'm not really feeling all that great. I have been trying to hide it from everyone, but I think mom is starting to catch on. Food doesn't like me. I had been throwing up for the last few weeks, but that has stopped - thankfully. Unfortunately, it seems though that I eat and am in the bathroom within about 10 minutes. It's like the food doesn't even stop and say hello to my intestines! I feel like I am gaining weight though like a crazy person. I am feeling more and more bloated and fat. I am to the point that I wish it would either get better or worse, but please don't stay the same! My back hurts and I am just so worn out. I can't walk for very long before my body just revolts. To make matters worse, my lungs aren't enjoying the changes in weather, so that just adds to the trouble. 'Tis the season...

Anyway, enough whining from me! I think that I shall grab my book and go outside for a while. Ugh - that reminds me...this will make you laugh. I went to the library today for the first time since before I was originally hospitalized. I knew that there was a fine because I had books out when I went into the hospital and, funny enough, my family's first concern was not returning my library books while I was lying in the ICU. So, I get to the counter and said that I wasn't sure if my account was even open because it has been 2 years. She looks and says - oh, you owe $29 on your primary account and then on your Ready to Read account (the children's book account I had from when I volunteered for the library) you owe $375. Apparently, they are charging me for the books that are still out on that RTR account even though they said that the books were never "due" because of the program I was working with and that as long as kids were enjoying the books, it didn't matter. Andrew has the books and loves them, so I just didn't worry about it. So, now I have to return all those books - no big deal because they are still all with Andrew and Becky has already found them. The other account though, I asked her if there was someone I could talk to about the fine because there were extenuating circumstances and I was wondering if they would wave the fine - I have ALWAYS paid my fines before and I admit that I regularly turn them in late, but I never ask for any leniency because I know I am late. This was different though. She looks at me and says "no, I'm the branch manager." Okay...I'll just wait and go downtown another day and talk to someone there...Did they really think I would be writing a check for $400 to check out 2 library books??? Good grief!

Anyway, that was my funny for the day...

Have a great day!

Sally

2 comments:

heather said...

wait wait wait --- $375?? are they serious? are these books made of gold? that's insane!! seriously. my library has a cap of $1 per book in fines, and in one visit, they won't charge you more than $7.50 (so if you return 50 books, all 5 years late, its $7.50)

...and exactly who would write out a check for $375 to the library anyway...hell, if you had that kind of cash laying around, you wouldn't have to BORROW books..you'd just go to borders and buy the damn thing...
sheesh....

Unknown said...

Have to agree with Heather on this one. And it takes a special person to say "no, I am the big kahuna and I'm not intersted in your mitigating circumstances". Hmmm....

I wish you were feeling better Sally. I'm sad that neither your lungs nor your pancreas are doing well. You'd think one of them would pick up the slack for the other.

I'm happy to hear about your cross stitch opportunity. I hope it works out for you.

Take care I hope you feel better on some front!

Diane